Global Americans is proud to launch a new research initiative to evaluate political, economic, and social developments in Venezuela, providing policymakers across the hemisphere with a deeper understanding of issues central to Venezuela and U.S.-Venezuela relations. At the end of this project, Global Americans will offer specific recommendations on the path toward a safer, more stable, and more democratic future for Venezuela.
The Way Forward for Venezuela project will evaluate dynamics within the Venezuelan political ecosystem, not only in Caracas, but across the country at the state and local levels. It will also assess relationships among factions in the Venezuelan opposition and sectors of Chavismo. Through this research, Global Americans will identify opportunities for international engagement with public figures, members of civil society, and private sector actors in Venezuela.
The project will result in a series of reports, roundtables, and public events focused on rebuilding institutions, finding a consensus on economic development, and restoring democratic norms in Venezuela. As part of this project, Global Americans will provide exclusive commentaries, articles, and analyses on the situation in Venezuela.
In the coming months, Global Americans will present findings to policymakers and civil society leaders across the hemisphere. The reports, articles, and events of the coming months will also be featured on the Global Americans website and across other Global Americans social media and multimedia channels.
Recent Global Americans Events on Venezuela:
Title: Venezuela en 2023: ¿Qué significan los nuevos acontecimientos para la región?
Date: January 12, 2023.
Panel: Stefania Vitale, Michael Penfold, and Luis Vicente León.
Moderator: Guy Mentel.
Global Americans Articles on Venezuela:
- How Sanctions Contributed to Venezuela’s Economic Collapse – Francisco Rodríguez (disponible en español)
- Una democracia feminista para Venezuela – Maryhen Jiménez y María Corina Muskus Toro
International Investigations Reveal the Limits of Justice and Rule of Law in Venezuela – Thairi Moya Sánchez
- How to Fix Maximum Pressure on Venezuela—An Insider’s Take – Anthony Eterno
Maduro and Mugabe Helped Ruin Their Economies. It Worked For Them – Patrick Imam and Francisco Rodríguez (disponible en español)
- An Insider’s View of U.S. Sanctions on Venezuela – Anthony Eterno
Reforma de la ley de ejercicio del periodismo: ¿qué busca el chavismo ahora? – Andrés Cañizález
Venezuela, banca y Fintech: desafíos y oportunidades – Sadcidi Zerpa de Hurtado
What is Nicolás Maduro’s Foreign Policy? – Adriana Boersner Herrera
¿Qué cabe esperar de la apertura colombo-venezolana? – Sary Levy-Carciente y Miguel A. Martínez Meucci
What Venezuela’s Opposition Can Learn from the Barinas Victory – Francisco Rodríguez
Colombia urgently needs help with the economic integration of Venezuelan immigrants – Sergio Guzmán and Ivonne Marmolejo
A Global Americans Review of William Neuman’s Things Are Never So Bad That They Can’t Get Worse: Inside the Collapse of Venezuela – Scott B. MacDonald
Biden’s Western Hemisphere Policy Turns One – Ryan C. Berg
A Chavismo saturated Twitter – Andrés Cañizález
La Sputnik V: un pinchazo de desinformación – Ana Julia Niño Gamboa
Russia’s Latest Return to Latin America – Evan Ellis
To participate or not to participate: The Venezuelan opposition’s Hamlet moment – Christopher Sabatini
What John Bolton’s memoir tells us about Trump and Venezuela – Paul J. Angelo
- Hemisphere Weekly: Venezuela negotiations fall apart as elections draw closer
- A Global Americans interview with Francisco J. Monaldi – Guy Mentel and Francisco J. Monaldi
- Tragedies at sea: Venezuela migrants continue to flock to Trinidad and Tobago despite border closure – Samantha S.S Chaitram
- With Maduro’s legislature installed, what’s next for Venezuela’s opposition? – Will Freeman & Victor Esteves
- Hate against Venezuelans in Colombia is a ticking time bomb – Sergio Guzmán and Juan Camilo Ponce
- Why Maduro is relying on Courts to silence dissent more than ever before – Will Freeman
- Transitional justice and the Democratic Transition Framework for Venezuela – Ofelia Riquezes & Frank O. Mora
- Trump’s strategy in Venezuela: Domestic or foreign policy? – Liz Alarcón
- Guaidó’s international tour – Andrés Cañizález
- Venezuela, Guaidó and the international community: What’s next? – Andrés Cañizález
Global Americans Reports on Venezuela